Monday, October 26, 2009

Hyderabad 2

This is now later in the day. There has yet been no improvement in the situation. Anyway, lets try and detail some observations of the available positives and negatives in sight. First section – how am I as a writer? My strengths are good, expressive language, almost nil spellos and grammatical errors in copy. Weaknesses, total lack of technical jargon in any sphere of activity. Inability to write a simple report, in the inverted pyramid style that is the basis of journalism. How about a feature then? A lack of necessary details that go into making a feature. So on the whole, I write witty emails really well. Hmm, call me pessimistic again, but I just don't think that's a really great job profile to carry around. Unless I can find a way to convince people to let me write their private mails, I wont have a steady job. In the same vein, how bout a comparative study of my peers. Quite an ego, eh? Haven't published a single report yet, and event the one that's probably going to be published is almost entirely written by Mir Ayoob sir. Chalo even then. Every reporter around, my immediate boss included has flaws in his language. The sub editors are busy in this office. Like habiba, a gentle sub editor pointed out, "none of them, ok, maybe some, but most of them, don't follow the basics of inverted pyramid style reporting. We have to do it for them, including all the spelling checks, etc. you write and leave it, I'll take care." Nice person.

But what to do with language when you're a reporter? You cant even wipe your arse with it. That reminds me. Yesterday, I was in the urinal, and guess who comes in to take a leak (big leak, considering his size), the most exalted one himself. We had a quiet time, comfortable in each other's company, a steady tinkle in the background. Then I opened the tap to wash my hands, hygiene at all times. There was no water. So after he pissed off, he was really pissed off about it. He asked me to call the housekeeping hotline, took a disgusted look at his hand and packed off. It felt good to smile that day. (Oh, I washed hands in the water in the bucket)

Wokay. So now what are my future plans? I will try and somehow meet sai gopal, my lord, in the morning tomorrow, get some good stuff and start visiting hospitals all around the city. In the mean time, I will also try and get money for my bike. If that clicks, things will be a lot quicker, I hope. I will also buy a map as soon as I can. But immediate work is to contact saigopal tomorrow and start on my beat. I wonder if getting a beat and starting to work on it will in any way give me good direction and a verve to work. I used to imagine that I was a freelance sort of guy, who could work in any area for a story of his choice. That bit of naivety is gone now. Contacts are your everything if you hope to publish a story. Without contacts, you are reduced to moving around endlessly, with nothing to show for it.

I have to start reading and you know, making myself a better man. Only when I work among well informed people do I realize how very behind the times I am. I still find it difficult to read the papers in the morning. The moment I open the page and begin, it feels like I'm reading a college text book. There is this in built urge to try and get all the information I read by heart. I try and curb that instinct, and nothing at all registers. I…whoops. My boss just asked me to write down my name. So it might be safe to expect a byline. Ananda, will be my nom de plume. I wonder if I should add Venkateswaran the next item onwards.

Ananda.

No comments: